Thursday 18 October 2012

Douglas Park [PPR: Local's Perspective]

Located at Royal Ave and Douglas St.

Douglas Park is what the kids living in Horseshoe Bay refer to as "the tennis courts".

"I'll meet you by the tennis courts."

"I live on Douglas street... Yeah, the one with the tennis courts."

"Wanna hang out at the tennis courts?"
"Haha, no!"

When I was first designing my park routes, I thought I'd skip Douglas Park because it was so insignificant. We walk by it and reference to it without ever actually looking at it. But in the end I decided to keep it on the list, because I did say I was going to "all the parks".

And it turns out that Douglas Park doesn't even have a tennis court.


Who knew that there was just a basketball/hockey court in the chain-link cage? Not I.

It turns out that there was a lot about Douglas Park that I hadn't realized. There's even a second half to the park.


It's a classic park-ish area with grass, trees and a picnic bench. Douglas Park is not too shabby from this angle.

And check this out:


It's pretty much impossible to tell from the picture, but there's actually three different types of edible berry bushes growing on this big old stump: salmon berries, huckleberries and blackberries. Come in June for the salmon berries, July for huckleberries and August for the blackberries.

PPR
Good: twice as big as I thought it was, good amount of shade from the trees, picnic bench, berries, basketball/hockey court
Bad: no tennis court, very tiny
6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment