Tuesday 25 September 2012

Ballantree Park

Access via Kildonan Rd.

At the north western tip of West Vancouver civilization sits Ballantree Park. I'd like to thank my mom for driving me up there, because it is seriously out of the way.

As with most of the land that far up the mountains that isn't covered in road or mansion, the park consists mostly of dense forest. It is entirely wild, except for the narrow trail that winds through the thick bush.


The trail is well maintained and an easy walk provided you're looking where you're going. This would not be a trail to walk at night or if you are blind. But if you pay attention enough to not trip over roots and rocks, Ballantree Park provides an easy and pleasant walk through the woods.

I caution visitors not to look for an end to this trail. The trail does not end when the park ends. According to the map, it actually leads all the way to Hollyburn Lodge (in Cypress Bowl's cross country skiing area). Turn around when you feel like it, not when it looks like you should. 

I didn't go very far because I was on my own and there was a bear warning sign at the trail head. Even though I only walked for about 10 minutes, I still saw some beautiful corners of the wildnerness.


I hope to be able to drag a friend up this hill and see more of it someday.

PPR
Good: nice scenery, well maintained trail, peaceful and quiet, perfect for forest bathing
Bad: good luck finding it, narrow trail with tripping hazards
6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment